Who would have guessed that fall is my favourite season, and with that, comes PUMPKINS!
I figured with thanksgiving and all things pumpkin, this weeks feature food would be none other than the pumpkin itself !
Pumpkin can be involved in many sweet treats for the holidays, but it actually has some great health benefits as well !
Not only can it make some great pie, but pumpkin itself (without all of the added sugar) can also be a great source of:
- Vitamin A- this is important for maintaining eye health & is a great antioxidant
- Vitamin C- beneficial for the immune system, helps create collagen
- Iron- help to build red blood cells, essential component in making neurotransmitters
- Fibre- keeps our bowel movements regular, maintains proper colon health
Once you’ve prepared your pumpkin puree don’t forget to roast the seeds for a snack with an added nutrient punch!
Pumpkin seeds contain:
- Protein, and lots of it ! – this is important for building muscle & staying full after meals
- Fibre- Even more than the pumpkin itself !
- Magnesium- important for muscle function, cardiovascular, bone health & much more!
- Healthy fats- important for brain health, mood, cardiovascular health
- Zinc- great for immune function and skin health
So eat the entire pumpkin this Thanksgiving !
Yours in health,